ISTE Live23

Saturday, February 29, 2020

2020 #PaSTEMambassador

This week started off with the flu hitting home.  My wife and daughter both fell ill and missed school for several days, I was very cautious in helping them with their sickness and thankfully I did not catch the stomach bug they had.

My Acceptance E-Mail into the 2020 PA STEM Ambassador Program

This was great news because for the final two days of February I was at training because I was selected as a 2020 PA STEM Ambassador through the Pennsylvania Statewide Afterschool Youth Development Network (PSAYDN).  I was chosen as 1 of 28 educators and business leaders to work with PSAYDN to develop our advocacy efficacy and work with policymakers in The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The Stats of this Amazing Cohort!

For two days we listened and learned about great organizations such as The Education Policy and Leadership Center (EPLC), the STEM Education Coalition, the Afterschool Alliance, the PA Department of Education STEM Initiative, and the PA Workforce Development Board.  All of these advocacy groups had great information and a powerful message to engage students in STEM activities, during and after school.  One of the best nuggets of information was from the Keynote Speaker was that STEM is not just content, it is an inquiry-based take on processing and learning.


With coming on board for this program I met some great innovative educators and business leaders.  We are all being tasked with creating a policy project for the next 10 months, and with my passion for computer science and gaming, I think this is a great way to help push game design and video games are legitimate STEM learning opportunities.  I hope that this will also have a greater impact on urban student experiences.  To find out more about the features of the program check out the press release: 2020 STEM Ambassadors!

No comments:

Post a Comment