ISTE Live23

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Leading Teachers through PD

As a part of our High School's Distributed Leadership (DL) Team, I have been given the opportunity to lead in new capacities for the past four years.  I have been trained for three years on the ways of developing teacher skills and school climate.  The team and I use the time allocated for our DL team to help bring Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to life and advocate for using best practices while creating Professional Development (PD) for our staff.

One such day was last January when I lead our Department Meeting time and showcased using QR Codes for staff to get students working and engaged in their classrooms.  I modeled one use, by having staff get into groups of 4 and walk around our building scanning QR Codes about the process of using QR Codes in the classroom, while they went around with a group recording sheet.  (One person in each group at least had a QR Code Reader.

One teacher friend used QR Codes at the end of the
year, using the codes to tag a video for students
to listen and write in Spanish. 

It became a huge success and everyone involved said the time used was greatly appreciated and the activity very appropriate for their practices.  I revamped the whole project for a recent graduate course paper that I had to make a QR Code activity.  I used PowerPoint to give my posters some extra character and even attached all of the QR Code Sites I used in each slide. I then began thinking about what else I could teach them would be the best use of their time, but as we all know one does not professionally develop teachers.

QR Code Activity: 



During a second PD, I led, involved looking at Google Sites to create a classroom website.  During this planned instruction I gave 10 minutes in demonstrating how to make a Google Site in Google Drive, then showcased my ever-changing work in progress Geometry Website.  Teachers were then placed in their departments to play with the Google Site creator and discuss possible uses for a site, what they would want to display or share with students and the world, etc.  Attached is my Google Site PD form that was shared out to all staff to work on and share ideas.   I designed the Google Doc to be informative, editable, and shareable for the information decided upon by each department. 

One of my takeaways from DL Trainings. 

Through leading teachers with Professional Development, I have become more secure in my knowledge of education and knowing what is good for both students and teachers in my building.  I hope to continue on this trend, leading and teaching all new skills that are easily adaptable for any classroom.

Please use and adapt any of the activities I have made for your school too! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am launching my first ESL summer camp tomorrow! I plan to show my students some websites they can use to improve their English skills over the summer. I'm definitely going to use FluentU. I suggest you check out Yabla!

    ReplyDelete